Monday, December 14, 2009

Thanksgiving

Well, I'm getting a little behind in updating the blog... it has been more than two weeks since Thanksgiving break, and I still haven't posted about it.

This year we spent the holiday visiting friends Eric and Soojin and their kids in Atlanta. The trip was not entirely pleasure since Tom and Eric have ongoing unfinished research that has been haunting them since something like 2003, and so they planned to spend at least part of the weekend working. Nevertheless, we had a wonderful time.

We left for Atlanta early on Thursday morning (much cheaper than flying on Wednesday before Thanksgiving!). For the first leg of our journey (to Phoenix!) the flight was very full, and for the first time in my life, we were upgraded to first class. The experience was somewhat marred by the consequences of a decision made earlier that morning. We took Shreya to the airport without waking her up, and in in particular, we did not change her. Partway through the flight something warm and wet made its way out of her extremely full diaper and onto my lap. Fortunately we were able to change her and dry me off at Phoenix airport and the rest of the journey was uneventful.

We arrived in Atlanta in time for a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner that Soojin had prepared.



Eric and Soojin's kids Alexa and Casey are two (and a half) years and two months respectively. They are both big kids though. Casey in fact is off the charts, and at two months he is over 16 pounds -- nearly as big as Shreya! Alexa was excited to have Shreya visit and wanted to play with her all the time. I was very impressed with her behaviour; she was very friendly towards Shreya and showed her all her toys even though she did have occasional sharing issues. (On Monday, when Alexa went to daycare, Shreya had a gloriously unsupervised day with all her toys!)



Soojin's mother is visiting them for an extended period, to help with Casey, and we also met her. Tom and I weren't really able to communicate with her much, since she doesn't speak any English, but this did not faze Shreya, who got along with her splendidly.


The rest of the holiday was spent lazing around and enjoying ourselves (except that Tom spent part of the time working with Eric, of course.) We went to the playground and the Natural History museum. We took walks in the neighbourhood. We watched Ratatouille. We chilled. It was uneventful, but relaxing and fun.

Daddy time!

Look, an airplane!

Chillin' with Mommy

Me? I thought you were driving!
Riding a horse at the playground

And another one indoors!

There is no spoon! (The cereal on the floor is also an illusion.)

Hmm. I wonder what's in here?

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe it, we were in Atlanta over Thanksgiving too! Looks like you spent most of your time downtown, and we were in the suburbs the whole time, but still I wish we could have seen each other! I'm glad your trip and holiday were nice, Shreya is cuter than ever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the airplane picture very much. That one's a keeper. :o)

    ReplyDelete