Once again Shreya and I have made it through four days (3.5, actually) by ourselves, while Tom was away in Columbus, OH for a conference. This time it was a little more interesting, as on Saturday Sunday and a good bit of Monday, I was rather sick, with a temperature that fluctuated between 99 and 101.5 F (with medication) on the weekend, and a headache that would not respond to the maximum allowed doses of Tylenol on Monday. Under the circumstances, it was rather difficult to look after Shreya, who was quite well and frisky and showed a marked disinclination to take naps when I really wanted to just lie down and sleep. Still, we got through somehow. On Saturday, she somehow picked up on the fact that dropping Daddy off at the airport was different from dropping him off at the office, and she was really mad. To try and pacify her and cheer her up, I took her to the Botanic garden and Aquarium (which are in the same complex). At first, since it was a beautiful day we went to the garden, but neither the blooming flowers nor the model train there produced a smile or squeak out of her. She resolutely maintained a frowning, stony silence. So I gave up on the lovely outdoors and took her to the Aquarium. Inside, standing in front of one of the tanks, she remained sulky, and although she knew that she had to stay with me (or be lost in a strange place) she periodically gave vent to her displeasure by giving me a little push away from her (but making sure I didn't get too far.) If I weren't so anxious, it would have been quite funny. (If it were someone else, it would be quite funny, yes, you have my permission to laugh!) And then, quite suddenly she realized: Never mind about Daddy, there are FISH here! And she thoroughly enjoyed the rest of the visit, pointing at the fish and shrieking with delight. When we got home she was quite tired, and went right to sleep after dinner. And so did I. That was Day 1. On Sunday I was sick sick sick! I was miserable and feverish, and she just wanted to play. She ran rings around me all morning, as I feebly tottered around behind her. Somehow, I managed to get her to take a nap in the afternoon. If truth be told, she fell off the bed while rowdily playing, yes, I am a bad mother :-(. Then of course she needed to be cuddled and comforted and while doing so, I fell asleep (Bad mother!). When I awoke I was pleasantly surprised to find that she was sleeping too. In the evening we went to the playground, and she frolicked in the sand, while I slouched around and watched. On the whole, I'm not entirely sure how we got through Sunday, but we did. On Monday, I got to send her off to daycare, where I was later told she had a really fun day. Normally I would use this time to do some work, but this time, I squandered it just recuperating from the previous day, and nursing my inexplicable headache. Then I picked her up, and we spent the evening playing and taking a walk around the neighbourhood. I took these pictures of her, to send to Tom, because maybe, just maybe, he missed her.
Here she is, jumping off the bed. She really is jumping-- the next picture I took (not posted here because it is blurry) has her midair.
And here we are.
The first thing Tom said when he saw the pictures was "Wow! She looks so old! Was she so old when I left on Saturday?"
Today was a good day. We went to a playgroup and celebrated the birthday of one of the other kids. Shreya had fun. And later we amused each other at home. And in a few minutes, Daddy will be back (though Shreya won't see him until tomorrow, since she has gone to sleep). Phew! We survived. Hurray for us!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Next time you find yourself sick with a very well child who wants to run around, call me !!! I'll happily take the girls to the park or to the botanic gardens so you can get some rest -- I know how hard it can be to take care of a child when you can't even take care of yourself. Of course, it may never happen again (I'm hoping, for your sake), but if it does, I'd love to help.
ReplyDeleteI agree with your friend, Marie. This would be an appropriate time to ask friends for help. We watched our friends' daughters when her husband was away. It was a lot of fun (minus the split second tumble that the younger one took when I was watching the older one chase Jason around the room)! I felt awful that the baby fell on my watch but was assured by her mommy that this happened many times a day. We would happily do it again.
ReplyDelete