Wednesday, June 30, 2010

An Independent Thinker

Shreya is definitely starting to show signs of her individuality. Since about last November, when she started going to preschool three days a week, she has wanted to do things like eat by herself instead of being fed, even if it makes a huge mess. Last week, we saw another aspect of her wanting to do things for herself. On Thursday morning, after she had had breakfast and been washed, she walked determinedly to the dresser that holds her clothes, opened one of the drawers that she could reach and pulled out an outfit, which she then handed to me to put on her. It was a two-piece set: full length pants with a long-sleeved top. Definitely a good fall/winter pick, but we were supposed to have close to 90 degree weather (32 celsius for you metric types). "You will be very hot in that," I said to her, offering her a summer dress. But no. Perhaps she didn't understand what I meant by 'hot'. Or perhaps she knew better than me what the temperature indoors at her school would be. In any case,  she had chosen, and she was sticking by her choice. When I dropped her off at school, I took the summer dress along, and suggested to the teacher that she could change Shreya's clothes if she showed signs of being uncomfortable. But when we picked her up in the evening, she was still clad in long sleeves, and looking thoroughly pleased with herself.

1 comment: