A couple of weeks ago, I met another mother in my neighbourhood. Sarah lives about half a mile away, and her son, Archer, is about a month younger than Shreya (and 3-4 lb heavier!) The four of us have been going for longish walks together.
Yesterday afternoon after our walk, Shreya and I visited Sarah and Archer at their home. Archer, who is very social, seemed very happy to see us. He smiled and gurgled at us, and grabbed my forefinger when it was in range. Shreya was more shy and reserved. She looked at Archer off and on, but was also fascinated by other things.
At some point one of them (and I'm not sure who started it) got upset, and began to cry. This upset the other, who began crying as well, which in turn further upset or frightened the first. Pretty soon they were both wailing in a perfectly orchestrated duet, with one taking the lead, and the other harmonizing, and swapping these roles at intervals. We tried to calm them down by hushing and rocking and bouncing and nursing them, but if one of them quieted down briefly, he or she soon took their cue to come in again when the other paused for a breath. And if we managed to calm them both down together, then, as if confused by the sudden lull, they started again, while we looked on helplessly. They continued in this vein for what must have been at least fifteen minutes, until I decided it was probably best if Shreya and I went home. I hope Archer calmed down soon afterward. Shreya continued to howl for the better part of half a mile, until suddenly, just a few yards from home, she forgot the cause for her unhappiness and calmed down just in time to give Daddy her most winning smile!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment